Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bed bugs.

Bed bugs are parasites that feed on the blood of people and animals when they sleep.

That's a pretty disturbing sentence. Did you know that they are found everywhere in the world, even in 5-star hotels because cleanliness of a living condition does not determine whether they are there or not?

I know this, because Tyler knows this. Also because Tyler was bit to shit all last week.

It's been really annoying, because they start slowly, just one or two bites at first. And you think maybe you were bit by a mosquito. Then you think, well, maybe the house has fleas. After a couple of days, they get really brave, and they've apparently told all their friends to come over. It's about this time that you see one, and at that point sleep is ruined for the evening...especially when you discover more in the cracks of the mattress.

However, diatomaceous earth is a soft sedimentary rock that you can buy as a powder, and it rains hell on those little vampires' world. It slices them up like tiny little razor blades and dries them out so that they slowly die of dehydration. And yes, that does make me smile.

The slow torture and death of these little bastards may go against a buddhist nature, but I think if Siddhartha Gautama had dealt with bed bugs in his time, he would have written the first Precept as, "I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life...except for bed bugs. Fuck them."

I would also like to suggest parents do not tell their children, "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." It will screw with them when they find out they're real, and no normal person "lets" things eat them while they sleep. It's just an awful saying.

They're all gone now. My room is clear. But now I am psychosomatically fucked. Any little itch freaks me out, and I have to check every inch of myself, the floor and the bed. Great...I get to have meth addict symptoms without using the drug.

Sleep tight, everyone.