Monday, May 27, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened.Wait...No, It Didn't.

I was recently reminded of something this guy said to me, "Boy, I bet you're getting lots of material here, huh?"

We were in county jail. And I don't mean for a few hours. We had been there "for a minute", as the saying goes. When people know you're a comedian, sometimes they'll say that, or something about how I probably have plenty of jokes about them or a mutual coworker/acquaintance. No, I never do, sorry.

But jail? Really? How do you figure I'm going to spin being shit on by wannabe sheriffs, residing with idiots, and eating the worst food imaginable? Hey, everybody...I screwed up my probation, ended up in the clink and hilarity ensued...

I suppose my fellow inmate's inquiry could be turned into a clever yarn. I might get a chuckle or two. No, probably just smiles.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has told you this, but comedians cannot hear you smile. We can barely even see them. Most are not looking at you, or they're drunk. If you find something mildly amusing, please attempt a mild laugh...maybe a giggle. It might just encourage the performer to keep going in the direction of more funny as opposed to that performer panicking at silence.

But yeah...I don't have a lot of jail or rehab bits. You tell people you've been "away" for a bit and for some reason, they can't relate. Imagine that...not everyone in the audience has been away from society for 6 months or more.

It's a shame, really. I think many people could benefit from having their life be put on hiatus for a while. It gives you some perspective. You appreciate what you have, if only for a little while. In fact, I need to do that  right now. Remember where I've been and be thankful for where I am...for my job and friends...for the opportunities to tell jokes...even if they aren't ones about people who want them to be.