Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rehab Can Kill You

Glee star Cory Monteith, 31, was found dead in his hotel room on Saturday. The autopsy is Monday, but all signs are pointing to a drug overdose.

What hit close to home for me was that he had just been to rehab in April. Now, I don't know what kind of treatment center he went to...if it was an actual recovery center or a glorified spa retreat for celebrities pulling a PR move. Whatever. Regardless, the timing easily reminded me of the friends of mine who have died of an overdose right after completing (or in the process of) treatment. I felt compelled to convey a point that I haven't really discussed with anyone outside of support/recovery groups.

Rehab is dangerous.

The reason is pretty basic: an addict quits doing drugs for 30-90 days and loses their tolerance. If the addict then relapses, they risk overdosing due to the "regular" dosage they administer...or they step it down a bit, but it's still too much for their body to take.

A secondary reason is that getting in a recovery program can fuck up your high in the future. If you reach out for help because you think you want to quit then you relapse, the guilt ruins your high. So what does one do if the high doesn't meet expectations? Do more. Then see above paragraph.

I know this personally...not just because of dead friends. That's how I overdosed. I quit, had some clean time, relapsed, OD'd and had to be revived.

This does not mean I am anti-rehab. I am grateful for the treatment I have received. I am not against rehab...I am against half-assing rehab.

I do not recommend going to rehab to appease your family...or for your kids or your significant other. If there is any doubt in your mind about quitting and you're a serious addict, you might want to think twice about rehab being a little break in your using.

I encourage you to dive in and make a serious decision to stop being a junkie...open your mind and take advantage of every opportunity you get during treatment. Take it seriously, and it may help you save your life.

Otherwise, it might kill you.