Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Inspiration

There are few people that truly inspire me. Louis CK is one of those people...and so is a guy named Ze Frank.

From March 2006 to March 2007, Ze created a daily video blog that was creative, intelligent and fucking funny. He was ahead of his time...and now he's back. Here's the first video of his return, "A Show With Ze Frank":



"This is an invocation for anyone who hasn’t begun, Who’s stuck in a terrible place between 0 and 1. Let me realize that my past failures that follow through are no indication of my future performance – they’re just healthy little fires that are gonna warm up my ass."

Amen to that. I needed a jolt from someone I respect and admire...who isn't afraid to put it all out there because they can...and that's not dead. I gots a lot of dead heroes. Feh.

What have I been inspired to do is the real question. For now, I know I need to write...here...in my comedy notebook...fuck, even on Twitter. Facebook status updates and Twitter are frustrating because they appeal to our lack of attention span, and seriously, I am so much better in long form. 15-45 minute comedy set trumps 5-7 every day in my mind. It's why I hate comedy contests.

Ah yes...stand-up. It would be nice to do that again regularly. I've used the understandable excuse of, "I work nights...I can't really do that right now." But I can make an effort can't I? This past year had a really important purpose: stability. Get back into the world as a functional member of society and not as a junkie. Yay, me. It's has its ups and downs, but here I am.

And there's one thing that I know. I am not like a lot of you. I see your pics and updates on Facebook...you and your kids...your career...your house...all that. I will probably be broke the rest of my life...401K can suck it. I don't think I'm ever going to settle down like that. In my head, I'm a fucking artist and a lost soul that wanders, restlessly. I don't think it's better than suburbia...just different.

So what now? Well, I'm gonna blog regularly, that's for sure. I'm going to get back on stage soon as shit. Time to quit putting off other things too, like finding a job during the day so I don't stay up so late and sleep all day.

Oh yeah...I need to quit fucking smoking, man.

Anyway...thank you, Ze Frank. Like you said, "life isn’t just a sequence of waiting for things to be done."

Onward through the fog, yeah?


UPDATE: Btw, I don't necessarily think I'm a GOOD artist, but I technically consider the bullshit that churns in my head and that is occasionally spit out into the world to be art.